If you (like many of us) are just starting out on your healthy hair journey, here’s a piece of advice: beautiful, luscious hair doesn’t come from just the products you use. Of course, a good washing and conditioning routine, as well as a great styling process, are very important in getting you your dream hair. But in reality, great hair starts from the INSIDE, with what you eat and drink. A healthy diet means healthy hair. So, here are five polluting foods and drinks that I would try my best to avoid when trying to grow gorgeous natural hair.
- Sugar: Prohibits the absorption of protein which is vital to healthy hair and fast growth
- Dairy: May exacerbate or trigger eczema, dandruff and psoriasis if you are prone
- Swordfish: Contains high levels of mercury, which have been linked to hair loss
- Starchy, refined grains: These are converted into sugar in the blood, and we already know what sugar does to hair!
- Alcohol: Lowers the level of zinc in the blood and causes dehydration, which leads to brittle hair
If you’re reluctant to give up that drink at the end of a long week, here is my FAVORITE mocktail recipe for anyone looking to replace alcohol with some healthy hair-boosting ingredients!
1 1/2 cups Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
1 cup Fresh Coconut Water (about 1-2 Young Coconuts)
Juice 1 Large Lemon
1 1/2 cups large chopped Pineapple (about 3/4″ cubes)
3 Kiwis, peeled and chopped
5 Large Strawberries, sliced
1 1/2 cups Club Soda (or Sparkling Water for a sweeter drink)
1/4 cup Xylitol for coated glass rim, optional
Juice the oranges, cut into the coconut, drain the coconut water and juice the lemon. Pour liquids into a large pitcher. Add the chopped pineapple, chopped kiwi and sliced strawberries. Pour 1 cup soda over the mixture. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Remove from the refrigerator and add an additional 1/2 cup club soda for fresh carbonation. Pour xylitol in a shallow dish. Take a slice of orange and wet the rims of all glasses. Dip the wet glass edge in the xylitol to coat. Pour juice into glasses over ice. Enjoy!